Twin Cities Music Highlights

Miller’s Coaches

This page covers these venues:

  • Zephyr Cafe
  • Miller’s Coaches
  • Night Train
  • Silver Coaches

 

ZEPHYR CAFE

The Zephyr Cafe was located at at 289 Como Ave. in St. Paul.

These were two 1887 Pullman coaches that once graced Northern Pacific’s Chicago-to-Seattle line, transformed into a tavern. Wheels and other gear were removed, so the cars would stay put. Photos from 1937 show them being constructed.  The sign “No Dancing”  probably meant that there was music of some kind, even if from a juke box, but that the owners didn’t have the proper license for dancing.  (There was another Zephyr Cafe at 444 Wabasha in 1941, where there was entertainment.)

 

zephyrcafe1937
1937 photo courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

 

1937 photo courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

 

1937 photo courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

 


 

MILLER’S COACHES

Over time the place became Miller’s Coaches, where railroad and steelworkers flocked for a drink after work. Apparently there they played old time music and polkas.

 

millerscoaches
Patrons enjoying a beer, 1979

 


 

NIGHT TRAIN

An article by Jane McClure tells us what happened to Miller’s Coaches:

In 1981 Millers Coaches was sold to new owners. [Ron Sodermeyer, per Facebook]  What had been a working-class spot was transformed into the swanky Night Train. About $250,000 was spent on new art deco décor. South African mahogany woodwork was refinished and brass luggage racks were polished. Neon tubing and ferns were also part of the decor. The 75-foot-long mahogany bar in one of the coaches was restored. The other car was transformed from a humble dining car to comfortable booths.

Those owners were only around for a couple of years, selling to Cathedral Hill restaurateur Leo Gadbois. He added a sunroom and jazz music.

On July 14, 1985, fire broke out on the roof, started in a neon sign transformer.  The club suffered little fire damage, but was was heavily damaged by smoke and water.  It was closed when the fire broke out and no one was injured.  The fire was confined to the roof and a 15 ft. wide attic of the room that joined the two coaches.  Damage was estimated at $31,000.  At first Gadbois said that the club may reopen in three to four weeks.  (Minneapolis Tribune, July 16, 1985)

But then he said his insurance company had gone bankrupt, and he transferred his liquor license to another bar.  The Coaches sat boarded up for years. They were eventually purchased by a private owner and taken out of the city.


 

THE SILVER COACHES

Mark Hebert reports that it had an almost twin, Silver Coaches, about two miles away.

The Silver Coaches was located at 1638 Rice Street.  It first hit the Minneapolis papers with an arrest for selling liquor without a license in May 1943, just referred to as The Coaches. Lou Lentsch reported that “The Coach” was very popular with Armory arms plant workers returning to St. Paul after work.  It later became the North End Depot in 1977 (1989 with music), Sports Garden (1995), Club Cancun (January 1998 to 2010), and now Wilebski’s Blues Saloon (2010).  Thanks to the folks on the Old St. Paul Facebook page for the information!