Worwa’s was a restaurant located at 2300 University Ave. NE in Minneapolis. Although there are newspaper reports of goings-on at this address going back to 1912, the permit cards only go back to 1938, and the property tax records go back to 1947.
Just for fun, the papers say that the place was:
- Public Inn Saloon, 1912
- Speakeasy, with copper tubing in the walls leading to a copper tank in the basement – 1925
- Oak Automotive Co. – 1929
- Marie Tapsak’s Tavern – 1936
- Ye Olde Bar – 1937
By 1939 it was Worwa’s Bar, and in 1942 owner Joseph Worwa was in big trouble for tax evasion, owing $2,500 in liquor tax to the Feds. He plead guilty, was fined $1,000, and given 6 months in prison, but the sentence was suspended and he was given probation.
At the end of 1954 Joe and his son Donald Worwa were arrested in a gambling raid.
In May 1955 it became Worwa’s Cafe, able to seat 200 people in the Skylight and Cedar Rooms.
In the 1960s it was Worwa’s Cafe, and music came to the venue.
An article in the Minneapolis Star reported that Worwa’s was in Federal bankruptcy court, which approved the sale of the bar to Gordon B. Solz, former manager of the Central-Hennepin Liquor Store, 608 Central Ave. NE. The sale price approved by the court, subject to debts, was about $225,000. (May 22, 1968)
ARTHUR’S FOUR SEASONS
Will Jones reported on the transition of Worwa’s to Arthur’s Four Seasons, saying that the new owner was Art Soltz, a food wholesaler. Art turned over management of the place to his four sons, who had previously run Central-Hennepin Liquors and were known for getting around the prohibition of the use of the world liquor in ads in the Minnesota Daily by using synonyms such as booze, suds, and juice instead.
Art wanted to call the place the Four Sons, Jones reported, but the four sons overruled him and called it Arthur’s. They planned to change the flora in the place quarterly to match the name the Four Seasons. The sons were Arthur, Jr., Gordy, Doug, and Tom. (Minneapolis Tribune, October 10, 1968)