Snyder’s Cafe was located at 38 South 6th Street in Downtown Minneapolis, across from Juster’s men’s store.
The first floor was a jazz club from 1934 to the 1940s and possibly longer.
The second floor hosted some questionable gambling.
In the 1930s it was a place to go to buy ticket for local events.
A report of a fire on February 22, 1941, confirms that an orchestra was employed.
Charles Rothenberg was listed as the proprietor in August 1947.
An article in a newspaper called the Times – the Picture Paper, the ownership of Snyder’s and the adjoining liquor store is called into question, with several potential owners. These include Dave Snyder, Eugene L. Heck, Darlene Snyder, and possibly Sam Snyder (the language is ambiguous). (October 17, 1947)
Percy Hughes led the house band from 1948 to 1949, followed by Vic Turrito.
In October 1949, the manager was Palmer Norum.
Bruce Dybvig had a short stay, followed by Eddie Bach in 1950.
Dave Snyder, listed in his obituary as a co-owner, died in June 1951 after retiring in 1946. His brother Max, who owned the chain of Snyder Drug Stores, had recently died as well.
On Sunday, February 10, 1952, a fire started in the kitchen of the empty Cafe, and spread to the rest of the building. High winds kept the flames going and the fire damaged adjoining buildings as well. Samuel S. Snyder was identified as the owner, and Glenn Anderson, the operator. The top two floors of the three-story building were only used for storage and for dressing rooms for entertainers who performed there. A steam tunnel under the street carried smoke to the lobby and basement to the Dyckman Hotel.
In April 1952, the second and third floors were removed. That June, two stories were built in the front, and one in the rear.
In 1967, the entire building was demolished.
It was replaced by a 29-story office tower called Fifty Sixth South Sixth, which opened in July 2001.