The Bijou Theater was located at 20 Washington Ave. No.
It was originally called the People’s Theater, designed by architect Harry G. Carter. It opened on October 31, 1887, and was owned by Kohn and Middleton.
In July 1889 the People’s was taken over by Jacob Litt, who renamed it the Bijou Opera House.
The theater burned to the ground in December 28, 1890, when a gas jet behind the scenes got too close.
A second, slightly larger Bijou Opera House was built on the same site in 1891, again to the plans of architect Harry G. Carter. In the meantime, Bijou attractions were housed at the Lyceum. The Bijou had started out strong presenting melodrama, but that had died out, so it adapted to movies.
A stock company in later years brought in an “uptown crowd” for one season while it was temporarily called the Bainbridge.
The interior of the Bijou Theatre was remodeled by architectural firm Liebenberg & Kaplan in 1927 and again around 1931-1933.
The Bijou Theatre was still open in August 1959, and it closed soon after. It was demolished in 1960.
Sources: Edgar, cinematreasures.org