Adolph’s Bar was located at 4151 West Broadway in Robbinsdale. (There was another Adolph’s Bar at 408 Cedar Ave. in Minneapolis in 1934.)
The first we see of Adolph’s Bar in the Twin Cities papers is in the Minneapolis Star Journal on October 13, 1939, when it is listed in the bowling scores.
Flo Ann (Jullie) Tauber’s husband Adolph opened the bar, and at some point he was Robbinsdale’s Fire Chief. But Flo was probably running the place by 1950. She also owned Jullie’s Menswear and wrote “Flo’s Chatter” in the North Hennepin Post.
Adolph’s was a popular destination for underage drinking, dining, and dancing – Sherwin Linton performed there in 1962. So did Conway Twitty? One patron remembers that they had a twist contest there every week in about 1965 or ’65.
One source lists it as a jazz venue.
In June 1964 the owner of the bar was James Zaccardi.
In September 1965 the new owner was apparently someone named Marxen, who advertised for two waitresses and two bar maids who doubled as go-go girls.
On September 10 and 11, 1988, the bar was advertised for sale in the Star Tribune.
The Robbinsdale Historical Society reports that the bar burned down on September 15, 1988.