The Old Southern Barbeque was apparently at two locations: 610 Lyndale (1937), and 700 No. Lyndale, which might have just been right next to each other.
It was a jazz venue run by “Ma and Pa Pettiford,” and members of the multi-talented Pettiford family made up the house band. It endured longer than any of the clubs in the Olson Highway district. It had been a storefront church, a restaurant since 1939, and was named the Old Southern Barbeque in 1949 or ’50. In 1943 there was a memorable jam session one Saturday night with members of Cab Calloway’s, Duke Ellington’s, and Woody Herman’s bands. “The session lasted until 8:00 the next morning, when the police broke it up.”
In February 1963 an article cited Cicero Flood as the owner and reported that the City was trying to crack down on prostitution at the club. By 1964 it still existed as a restaurant but no longer offered live music or after-hours sessions.