The Casanova Lounge and Cafe was located in the Kruze building, 43-45 So. Fourth Street (across from Maurice L. Rothschilds).
Gangsters Tommy Banks and Harry Shepard purchased the building on December 13, 1943, through attorney Simon Meshbesher. In 1947 the property was owned by Tommy and Reta Banks and was sold to the B&S Co. Tommy would only admit that he loaned $10,000 to Thomas E. Ewing, proprietor and holder of the liquor license. Ewing operated as President of Casanova Bar, Inc. Tommy Ewing and Kipp Hale were listed as owners in July 1944 . An undated memo that lists several places that are suspected to be owned by Tommy Banks states “last recorded owner Thomas W. Banks and Harry Shepard, 1316 Nicollet Ave., which is the location of the Coin-a-Matic machine company and of which he is the manager. Shepard’s resident (sic) is Maryland Hotel, 1346 LaSalle Ave. The first state bank of Wabasha, Minn. holds a $8,000 mortgage on the building.” A newspaper article indicates that Tommy Banks sold the building to the government in 1959.