715-723 Olson Memorial Highway. Jazz venue, home of after-hours jam sessions with Lester Young, the Pettifords, Duke Ellington, and Eli Rice.
The name of this club kind of went back and forth:
- In 1952 it was also known as Howard’s Club Jazz. Performers that year included the Eddie Williams Combo, Stan Williams, and Mr. “X”
- The El Grotto was another name along the way.
- Jim’s Cafe Society opened in September 1953 at 717 Olson Memorial Highway.
- On December 31, 1953, it reopened under new management as Howard’s Club Jazz.
- In January 1954 we see Jim Baker’s Black and Tan Club, 715 Olson Memorial Highway
- In June 1954 it was back to Howard’s Steak House, with the Five Cats playing nightly.
- It closed in 1955.